Monday, June 13, 2011

My Life Be Like Whoaa

My friend from the baguette shop. Dude has the coolest hair, he's 21 and he rocks out like a G.


Newest friend from the baguette shop, yes this place is my jam.  Usually breakfast and or lunch.  Sy, the guy who runs the place is the man and very eager to learn about doing business the proper way and is picking my brain as much as I am his.  He also helped translate the conversation I was having with the man pictured below (the one sitting closes to me with the mustache, smoking a cig).  Tri is Buddhist, previously a monk, currently a painter, and he looks very noble.  He gave me a palm reading, fo free! only after he bought me a coffee, and subsequent to pulling on my ear.  He told me I am intelligent, a visionary, and that my ears are a sign of my longevity.  I also apparently have a good luck line down my palm and will live to be 70, but I think this got lost in the language barrier. Maybe it all did, who knows.  But if that's the case, I better get cracking.
Ciao.


So I am writing this at the expense of finishing my reading for my Vietnamese culture class in one hour, but I read about half of the material, which is infinitely more than I normally read for school.  Sorry mom and pops, but let's be honest, the opportunity cost of reading far outweighs the other things I could otherwise be learning.  Anyways, I need to write now because in two days time I have experienced so many new: friends, realizations, observations, situations, and interactions, and I fear that if I do not write now I might have a new vision to describe in the days to come.
Here's what I have jotted in my phone recently:
Before Landing in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC)
This place is a riot.  It is hilariously awesome, kind of like the newest Will Ferrell movie, it defines cool and has all the comedy you could ever ask for!
After Touching Down
There are three cranes in my peripheral line of site, the best way to describe this place is that it is just hitting puberty - growing rapidly, yet it needs parental supervision (ie the government) in order to ensure it does not stray to afar.
After the First Night
This place is surreal, even events that took place an hour ago feel like a dream.  Maybe it is so real that it is the most in the moment I feel I have ever been.
In my humble opinion, as a generalization, Vietnamese and Asian Culture overall is one big juxtaposition.  That is the best way I can think to describe it.  Its almost like there is an ever-present aura of imperfect precision.  I'll be the first to admit that before I came here I would have had no idea what somebody saying this would have meant.
Funny Observations
 The shoes here don't have the new shoe smell I am accustomed to.  In fact they don't smell at all - in the mall at least - at the Asian equivalent of 'flea markets' however, they often sell used shoes, but I haven't tried smelling these yet.
2 nights ago was the first time that I noticed 4 people on one motorbike, I'm sure it wasn't the first time I've seen 4 people on one, but it was the first time I was consciously aware of it.
They have toothpicks here, thank Yahweh, but no napkins! What's up with that?!?
The amount of surgical masks here far trumps Bangkok and Hong Kong combined which is quite ironic being that the smog here is nowhere near as prevalent as it is in either of the other two cities.  It seems to serve more as a fashion statement than a functional instrument.  Rarely will you find a plain mask, most are covered with logos of idolized Western fashion stores, brands, designs, etc.
Crossing the Street
This is quite a fun game, essentially equivalent to a real life game of Frogger, except you only get one life.  If you walk with a purpose and stick your hand out every now and again (the pedestrian's equivalent to a car honking) it seems you can get to the other side okay.
For now, chào trẻ em. Later kidssssss!!!!

1 comment:

  1. pictures are great!! love all your descriptions--you might be able to publish your own book of Zen upon your return:)

    ReplyDelete