Sunday, June 5, 2011

From Hong Kong to Bangkok

We had some time to kill before our flight and instead of opting for the touristy tram to the Big Buddha, we took the road less traveled, quite literally, and ended up at the outskirts of civilization, Tai O fishing village.  The town was amazingly picturesque and very colorful, and a nice way to end our trip in the bustling city of Hong Kong.  Our flight on Air Asia turned out to be one of the nicest I have ever been on, comfy, trendy red leather seats, plus I got my own row!
We arrived in Bangkok and felt we needed to make the most of our night even though it was past midnight.  We did the only thing that our hotel recommended, the 'Ping Pong show.'  Ian and I were naive enough to think we might actually be seeing some ping pong - that was errant thinking.  The show involved ping pong balls, but we'll leave it there.
The following day we made it to one of the biggest and most brilliant markets I have ever been to, the weekend market at Chatuchuk.  The place was endless, and all about the experience, Ian and I managed to get merely tank tops.  To say we have untrained eyes is understating the obvious, although maybe we can blame the sensory overload, you'll understand this excuse if you've been.  We did however manage to not starve ourselves, eating an amazing lunch that satisfied our yearning for Pad Thai (which it turns out was invented to appease Americans).  It was the most authentic lunch one can imagine, at tables amidst tree coverage, a wooden bench and stalls abound, and also the first time we have seen napkins on this entire trip - granted they were pieces of toilet paper!  At night we headed to (what is pronounced as) Cow Sung road, but I think we arrived on the early side, as the Gazebo rooftop bar was pretty empty at 1:30 when we left.  The area was filled with backpackers and the neon lights and stalls everywhere reminded me a bit of the food section at Ultra Music Festival.
As for today, we did the temples, for which I could not do justice by trying to explain via my writing.  My favorite part however was getting blessed by a Monk at Wat Arun, although blessing myself with holy water dripping from a flower was quote soothing as well. Now off to Mango Tree, a restaurant we accidentally stumbled upon and is very expensive.  Plates are around ~300 baht ($10 American) about 4 times as expensive as the ordinary price elsewhere.  Excited, gotta run!

2 comments:

  1. Love, love this post. So descriptive, I feel like I was there!! Glad to have missed the "ping pong' Show!! Everyone is following your blogs here and enjoying them. Guess no Big Buddah pictures for me, I will download one! keep on truckin', enjoyin' and checkin' in. xoxo

    ReplyDelete